PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, March 5

Alice in Wonderland movie review and more about Alice!

I've just watched 'Alice in Wonderland' with Becky just a couple of hours ago! We were planning on 'Percy Jackson & the Olympians' just yesterday, but turns out there was only one viewing for it left today, in the late evening! What's more, Becky could score us free tickets to that too. Pity! Still, I'd really been aching to watch this movie by Tim Burton since LAST OCTOBER, so I was okay with the change! I'd no friggin' idea that Helena Bonham Carter (as the villainous Red Queen) was married to the director, Tim Burton himself! Slow much? I loved that Anne Hathaway (The Princess Diaries) acted as the White Queen as well! The Canberra-native from Australia, Mia Wasikowska was perfectly suited for her role as Alice Kingsleigh too!

Anyway, just minutes before the movie started, we bought KFC to sneak into the theatre! Obvs, we were careless, and I put my Cheese Fries in with Becky's sushi pack and Popcorn Chicken. The old men definitely were more careful this time since they used to not care about that in the past (according to Becky)! The oldie went all, "You can't bring it in. You can finish it outside. The movie haven't started." How mean is that? So we went off to a corner and began planning how to sneak them in, this time, without being CAUGHT! The sushi was hidden fine, and Bec stuffed her Popcorn Chicken in Kleenex and hid them bottom of her bag. In the meantime, I covered the view of the still-watching-busybody old man and tried stuffing as many fries as I possibly could in my mouth. It makes you wanna puke if you eat 'em too fast, the cheese, it really does. So I sacrificed them, and friggin' threw three-quarters of the fries away! Nooooooooooooo!

BTW, the next paragraph will contain SPOILERS from the movie 'Alice in Wonderland', so if you're planning to watch it sometime this week or something, or hate spoilers with endings in it, you might want to skip reading this part (till you see a picture!)...

So, this movie was one of the most awesome Disney film I've seen in a long while, and the best Tim Burton film of all! Well, technically, I've only watched just this one film of his, so... This re-adaptation is definitely darker than the ones you usually read in the books, or perhaps watched in the cartoon films! But the make-up and vintage dresses and it being set in the Victorian times (60s? 70s?) are the high-points of the movie! Most of the actors (and actresses) were mostly in WHITE face make-up! Johnny Depp (as the Mad Hatter) was the character most natural in it! Becky and I had pointed out the White Queen most of the time was holding her hands up beside her delicately (like those of royalty, obvs!), except when she had to hold on to the reins of her horse of course. Anne was also speaking in this imitated England accent which was just a wee bit difficult to interpret! The Red Queen (older sister to the White Queen) went "Off with their heads!" most of the time too. One of my favourite parts! Lots of talk about lopping off heads, and lots of lopping off body part, and some rather scary objects in there too. So this ain't for the faint-hearted! The ending was a rather disappointing one for me, though! Alice went travelling all over the world as a trader's apprentice instead of remaining in Wonderland. All right, I've spilled enough deets! The movie ain't even officially out yet in the US too!

While in a bookstore after the movie, I randomly picked up this magazine, 'Stone Soup: The Magazine by Young Writers & Artists' from a shelf and Becky and I flipped through the thin thing. We were more interested with the pictures of kids who submitted in their own works, and their NAMES. Yup, this might sound weird. So we found this two girls with HILARIOUS names (no offence here). One was a 'Emma Watson', with glasses and look nothing like the one you see in all currently out six movies of Harry Potter. The other was called 'Emily Boring'! While I'm not sure if they're allowed to use an alias when sending in their work, but those names did cracked us up an awful lot. Poor girls, if those really were their names, I do so hope they're coping well with the school bullies and all.

After that episode, we picked out a magazine to buy. Becky bought 'DOLLY', which always had this notice pasted on the front cover saying 'UNSUITABLE FOR THE YOUNG' when it clearly is just like any other girl magazine for all ages. I got the Twist magazine! We picked out notebooks after, for the new "school" year. Hers was a rather cool one with a pretty spine and cover looking sorta like a witch's manual and vintage-ish pages. Mine looks like this:

ABOVE: Apologies, I didn't turn it upside right! Ugly cover, right? Still, I love the texture of it!
ABOVE: One of the pages out of the notebook! Love it!
ABOVE: Yup, this book supposedly helps you fulfil your wishes with the help of FAIRIES.

Here's a special quote from the 'Alice in Wonderland' books by Lewis Carroll!
"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!"
- Alice
Share

0 ridiculously, rad comments:

Post a Comment

Comment freely, let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails