PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 2

Third post in 2010, and counting...

I read extracts of this book, 'The Wonder of Whiffling' by Adam Jacot de Boinod, where he unravels the meaning of English words you've probably never heard of. Some are derived from the previous centuries, or from Latin. Here are a few good, and bizarre ones I found:
  1. crambazzled : prematurely aged by drinking -No Comment
  2. fornale (four-narl) : spend unearned money -15th-century English
  3. accidie (acid-ee) : apathy -Latin
  4. quidnunc : someone desperate to know what's going on -Latin
  5. dudgeon : resentful anger -Old English
  6. deipnosophist (dayp-noh-soffist) : dining companion -Greek 
  7. cachinnate (kak-in-ate) : laugh loudly -Latin
  8. smidsy : a motorbike accident -20th-century acronym 'Sorry, Mate, I Didn't See You'
  9. brendice (bren-diss) : a cup used to drink to another's health -17th-century English
  10. ostrobogulous : bizzare - Derivation unknown
I recently found this picture in my brother's files. Thought I'd show it here, though I bet I'm probably the only one who hadn't seen it! Apologies if it's too offensive. Kids these days...

                                  Funny Angry Baby Funny Blogger Graphics
Joke of the Day:

Two glamour models were found frozen to death in the snow outside a cinema. They had queued for two weeks to see "Closed for Winter."



"All the world's a stage; And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts."  
                              - William Shakespeare
 
xoxo ♡♡
 
Share

0 ridiculously, rad comments:

Post a Comment

Comment freely, let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails